Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sucker for a Sale

Since the recession became full swing it seems the craze for coupons has dramatically increased and I have slowly been suckered in. I will say I am a moderate coupon clipper and I have been very proud of my success but compared to the coupon nazi's I have only really touched the surface. I do not think that I will ever be able to walk out of the grocery store and say I have $100 worth of groceries and only spent $10. The most I have ever saved has been $75 but I still spent $120. Let me back up just a bit I only shop at Publix because of the awesome BOGO's (for the beginners that means Buy One Get One also known as B1G1). All of those big bins right when you walk in the door they literally suck you in and you feel the need to purchase several of the items even if you never have really tried the item. I just feel like I am getting such a good deal. However lately maybe it has taken me a little while but I realize that half of that stuff really when it is a BOGO the sale price is brought down to a comparable price with other grocery stores. Publix is a little over priced and if you are normal like me I am still going to buy other necessary items whether it is on sale or not. So when the cashier says "You saved X dollars today" you really should cut that amount in half. The real savings is when you have coupons on top of the BOGO price. And I have noticed that several items rotate on the BOGO list fairly often. In the beginning I felt the need to purchase several items the week it was a BOGO because it could be "ages" before it goes on sale again, thus why I have 4 gallons of apple juice, 2 large bottles of EVOO, 5 large jars of spaghetti sauce, and 4 boxes of opened cereal in our pantry...just to name a few. Chad usually helps me unload the groceries after my trip and this last time when apple juice was on sale again and I bought another gallon, he said Brooke I think we are good on apple juice we will probably still have some on back up the next time it goes on sale. It is becoming a little bit of an obsession not only with the groceries. Since I started reading some of these "saving blogs" I find myself only wanting to buy something, anything, unless it is on sale or if I have some sort of coupon. Just last week Saks was having friends and family and I called and place an order just because I could get 10% my cosmetics which is basically the amount of the taxes, not much but just a little bit of savings. And then I found my self searching the website for any other items that I "had" to have because I could get 20% off on apparel items and shoes. And just today I get an email from Banana Republic that states "Today only get 40% off 2 items". Usually on Wednesdays they send me an email with a coupon for 40% off 1 item, but TODAY it is 2!! So tempting...I still have that website open on my browser searching for 2 items!!

I could go on but to most this post was probably not very entertaining :)

5 comments:

  1. Brooke- I thought this post was very entertaining because I can relate. Even though I don't have a family to buy for, I'm still sucked into the sales. When the Kashi meals go on sale at Publix, I always buy 4 or 5. There are about 12 meals currently in my freezer. I also took advantage of the Saks friends and family and purchased some make-up (10% off is better than nothing) as well as a purse and 2 pair of shoes that I had previously purchased (one pair being the Frye cowboy boots you saw the last time you were at my house) but wanted to get them at 20% off. I love a good bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pictures of James on this post. I should have taken one of him in the green buggy when we went to Publix last weekend for you to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple juice is very important, Brookie, although I wonder at the size of your storage space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH!! I am the same way. I have started clipping coupons and I am obsessive about it. I am really bad about cereal. That is my apple juice. What are these savings blogs you speak of??

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha this reminds me of the modern family episode where the big gay guy gets a job at the greating card place and buys all them because he gets 40% off and his partner says "2.95, 2.95, 2.95" while the other is going "40% off, 40% off, 40% off" haha soooooo funny!

    ReplyDelete